Check out some interesting videos on creativity. This first video…
The Personality Traits of Creative Individuals
I like a new article about highly creative people and their personalities that has been reported in Science Daily. The authors emphasize a couple of things about the creative people studied; one was less concern for sociability. But the best thing was huge problem solving skills and surprising drive to accomplish.
If they tell us anything about highly creative people, it might be that they’re complex. You can be creative in many different ways, so there’s still some doubt as to what specifically they were studying. There were 841 subjects.
These traits reflect most of the capabilities of a successful person too. However, we know that poor social skills can indeed hold a creative person from achieving their true potential.
Here’s the top 7 traits they identified for highly creative individuals:
1. Associative orientation: Imaginative, playful, have a wealth of ideas, ability to be committed, sliding transitions between fact and fiction.
2. Need for originality: Resists rules and conventions. Have a rebellious attitude due to a need to do things no one else does.
3. Motivation: Have a need to perform, goal-oriented, innovative attitude, stamina to tackle difficult issues.
4. Ambition: Have a need to be influential, attract attention and recognition.
5. Flexibility: Have the ability to see different aspects of issues and come up with optional solutions.
6. Low emotional stability: Have a tendency to experience negative emotions, greater fluctuations in moods and emotional state, failing self-confidence.
7. Low sociability: Have a tendency not to be very considerate, are obstinate and find faults and flaws in ideas and people.
Researchers believe that mental flexibility and right brained style thinking were most indicative of the highly creative person. In an earlier post, I spoke about the type of flexibility to achieve the perspective needed to see the solution. And these people appear to have the flexibility. Sociability is a left-brained trait.
Among the seven personality traits, ingenuity, imagination, and flexibility are the factors that to the greatest extent lead to creative thinking.